Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Hint" feature in choice-response
Hi Rachel! 
I just saw yesterday that there is a new feature within the choice responses that allows experiment designers to remove the hints from choice responses. I tried it out and it worked for me for one trial, but then when I ran the experiment again, it no longer stopped showing hints (I was trying this out in a dummy experiment with only one trial). I didn't change the code in my response, and this is what it looks like: 
{
  "type": "choice",
  "choices": [
    "F",
    "J"
  ],
  "key_mapping": [
    "F",
    "J"
  ],
  "target": "F",
  "key_only": true,
  "hint": false,
  "feedback": true,
  "feedback_audio": false,
  "instruction": " "
}

I also just tried running it in a new tab on Google Chrome, clearing browser cache and cookies, and creating a new response with the same code as a sort of "refresh" and it still doesn't work. I'm not sure why I'm still getting hints when I have "hint" set to false. Can you help? 
Thank you! 
Grace
Hi Grace,
We are having trouble replicating this issue on our end. Would you mind adding me as a collaborator to the study that is experiencing these issues ([email protected]), and I'll take a look to see if I can figure out the problem? 

Thanks!
Rachel
(09-15-2021, 02:46 PM)Rachel - Participant Affairs Wrote: Hi Grace,
We are having trouble replicating this issue on our end. Would you mind adding me as a collaborator to the study that is experiencing these issues ([email protected]), and I'll take a look to see if I can figure out the problem? 

Thanks!
Rachel

Hi Rachel, 

Thank you so much! I just added you as a collaborator! 

Grace
Hi Grace,
Thanks for adding me. Hmm, it seems to work fine when I preview your experiment (see attached screenshots). 

Are you still experiencing problems with this? Are you, by any chance, using the testing server (https://testing.findingfive.com) to preview your experiment? If so, please try it on the main site. Thanks for helping us investigate this issue.

Best,
Rachel
Hi Grace, just to chime in with a random thought - the "F" and "J" that are still on display are not the hint, but the choices themselves. If you want to hide the choices themselves, you can replace them with spaces, like " " (1 space) and " " (2 spaces):

Code:
"choices": [" ", "  "]

However, that may present some challenges when you analyze the CSV data, as the "response_value" column will consist of spaces of variable lengths. If you take this approach, please download the preview data and make sure you can analyze the results.
(09-17-2021, 02:26 PM)Ting Wrote: Hi Grace, just to chime in with a random thought - the "F" and "J" that are still on display are not the hint, but the choices themselves. If you want to hide the choices themselves, you can replace them with spaces, like " " (1 space) and "  " (2 spaces):

Code:
"choices": [" ", "  "]

However, that may present some challenges when you analyze the CSV data, as the "response_value" column will consist of spaces of variable lengths. If you take this approach, please download the preview data and make sure you can analyze the results.

Hi Ting, 

I see what you mean! As far as removing the visible choices, it does work! You're right that it is a little bit hard to read on the CSV file, but I think it could work as an option. 

Thank you! 

Grace