Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conditional (following) response
Hi, Findingfive!
I am writing because I would like to ask you whether there is anything like conditional response for stimuli.
I am designing an experiment, in which participants are asked to listen to audio stimuli and record real words if they heard any in the stimuli. So, basically I need two responses for each stimulus as follows.
i) Choice response ("yes" or "no"): Whether you heard any real word
ii) Audio response (conditional - if "yes"): If you heard any, please say what you heard. 
I would like to make the audio response only available to those who put "yes" in the choice response. I read through the tutorials and grammar reference documents but was not able to find anything like that.
I do apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Cheonkam Jeong
Hi Cheonkam, this is a great question! We have a hidden feature (hidden because its eventual form may change) that is called "nested trials" - essentially, when a participant chooses a specific answer, they will be directed to a "nested trial". In your case, the nested trial will be step II, where you collect the audio response.

Does this sound like an acceptable workaround? It'll be a little different from what you suggested - instead of two responses on the same trial, you'll end up having two trials instead. The second one (the nested one) is conditioned on the response of the first trial.

Let us know and we'll give you the details on how to implement it.
Dear Ting,

Thank you for your reply!
I am wondering whether I could make the nested trial null. 
I mean I do not want to make participants exposed to the stimulus again...
If this is possible, I think that would be great! 
If not, it might be better to make [["choice response", "audio_response"]] and ask those who put "no" to not record anything...

I sincerely appreciate all your help!

Sincerely,
Cheonkam Jeong
OK Let's give it a go and see if the outcome is good enough for your design. I'll share a sample study with you by the end of day tomorrow (Wednesday).
Dear Ting,
That's great!
Thank you so much Smile
You are most welcome. Smile I've shared the study with you. Let us know if you have any questions.
Hi! We have implemented a beta feature called "follow-up responses", which is now available for you to test on https://testing.findingfive.com. A quick example can be found here: https://help.findingfive.com/api/trial-t...html#basic It should be relatively straightforward. Let us know if you have any questions!

If the feature looks good to you, let us know and we'll move it to the production server as soon as we can.