Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeing data before the session ends
Taking research online presents challenges. In the lab we know participants are using a mouse and headphones for our audio + mouse tracking paradigm, but online how do we know? We have them agree at the beginning to use these things, but at the end we ask how they took the study and half of them did not use a mouse. So, we do not give them credit for the study. Here is the problem: we have to see their answers to determine if they get credit. Our human subjects pool wants us to award credit within 24 hours. Right now I can't see the responses until the FindingFive session is over, right? So, what do I do. I feel stuck. I can't open a new session every day. I need to open a session once a week and have it run for a week to collect participants. But I also need to award credit to participants for taking the study within 24 hours, but I can't do that if I can't see their responses. Am I missing something that would allow me to see individual responses while the session is open? If not, then, as a researcher, I feel this is a major flaw in the platform that should be addressed as soon as possible. I hope I am just missing something. Thanks.
Hello,

We definitely sympathize with your issue of having participants not following instructions. Dr. Jenny Roche at Kent State has used the mouse tracking paradigm, and asked her participants if they had a mouse three times before letting them continue on to the rest of the study, as people are less likely to lie multiple times. A strategy like this may help!

FindingFive does not allow researchers to see data while the session is currently running. This is a major privacy concern that is against many IRBs, as a researcher could match up participant names and emails to the data if they check the data every time a new participant completes the study. If you need to reward credits every 24 hours, I do suggest stopping a session and starting a new one every day. The link to a study remains the same between sessions, so participants can continue to click on the same link you gave them when you initially started the study.
Thank you for the response. It is good that the link remains the same. It would also be great to be able to set it up to where stopping and starting a new session every day is as simple as clicking on a button. I can imagine that this would work by keeping all the information the same and automatically appending the date to the session name. Thank you.
That's a great idea! We'll add a "duplicate this session" feature! Thanks for the suggestion!