Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letting audio play through after choice response
In our current setup, the audio stimuli are set with barrier: true, so the choice response is only available after the audio finishes playing.

If I change the audio stimuli to barrier: false, the choice response becomes available as soon as the audio starts, but selecting a response causes the audio to stop.

Is there a way to set barrier: false so that participants can make their choice while allowing the audio to continue playing until the end?

-- sten
(Yesterday, 10:41 AM)sten_knutsen Wrote: In our current setup, the audio stimuli are set with barrier: true, so the choice response is only available after the audio finishes playing.

If I change the audio stimuli to barrier: false, the choice response becomes available as soon as the audio starts, but selecting a response causes the audio to stop.

Is there a way to set barrier: false so that participants can make their choice while allowing the audio to continue playing until the end?

-- sten

Hi Sten!

This is interesting, thanks for the question! As a general rule, we treat "active" response types, such as the choice response, as a trigger for the end of the trial. This is the first request we've received where that behavior is not actually desired.

We have been engaging in some minor tweaks to how the ends of trials get triggered. It is possible we might be able to incorporate something that can address this issue, but we will need to investigate a bit first. Do you have a timeline for when you would need a solution for your study?

Thanks as always for using FindingFive!
 -- Noah
Hi Sten,

I think you'll run the risk of collecting more data you want (and a disclosure issue as well), but here's a way to hack it:

1. Include a background audio response to collect audio recording (which you should tell your participants).
2. Set its duration as relative to the audio stimulus (https://docs.findingfive.com/en/designs/...e-duration) by something like half a second (or maybe +0 could even work)
3. Add both the audio response and the choice response to the trial.

That way, the trial should behave like what you described. The core principle here is that you'll need some other response that has a "duration" parameter to prevent the trial from ending too early. The relative duration is the only trick I can think of though.

Ting
Hmm...now that I've described the hack, I guess the solution we can implement on our end is to introduce a "dummy" response that has a duration then! Hmm...