Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letting audio play through after choice response
Hi Sten,

Thanks for sharing the study with us! I think I understand the various combinations you've tried and why they worked or didn't work. I also have a recommendation at the end:

1. You current setup works, sort of, because the audio stimuli are universally relatively short. The reason why it works is because your background audio has no duration setting at all. This is important, because it means that the background audio response will record as long as the trial lasts. Now, importantly, because of the addition of the background audio response, the trial has more participant data to process and submit to the server, which takes just a little bit extra time that allowed the audio stimuli to finish playing. If your stimuli were a little longer, they would still be cut off.

In fact, on my fastest computer, if I manage to hit one of the buttons the moment I see out of reflex, the audio stimuli did get cut off. 

2. I've also tested giving an explicit duration to "p11_potato" the audio response. I find a duration of 4 seconds works really well. It make sure that the trial will last at least 4 seconds to allow the audio stimuli to play through. If the participant clicks anything before the 4 seconds is over, the trial will simply wait there. I think this is what you wanted?

In that sense, #2 is exactly my understanding of how the findingfive study grammar works. It respects the duration of any background response when there are multiple responses (visible and/or background) on a trial. I would highly recommend doing that.

If you are not seeing the behavior I'm describing, can you clear the cache of your browser and reload everything. We did have a grammar update about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Letting audio play through after choice response - by Ting - 6 hours ago