Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letting audio play through after choice response
Hi Ting and Noah,

Thanks for the suggestions! It seems like the hack works — I’m getting the behavior I want — though I did things a little differently than what Ting described:
  • I set the audio stimuli to barrier:false and delay:2. We’ve been using this delay because we want participants to see the image stimuli first (no delay) before hearing the audio stimuli.
  • I set the choice responses to delay:2, so the choice buttons appear at the same time as the audio starts playing.
  • I created a new “background audio” response with delay:0.
  • This setup seems to give us the behavior we want. Just to clarify, we want participants to make their selection in "real time" or as "online" as possible. However, we don’t want them to learn that they can quickly skip through the study by pressing a button to advance before the audio finishes playing.

The only thing I don’t fully understand is why this setup works the way it does. I noticed that if I set the choice responses to delay:0, the choice buttons appear simultaneously with the image (before the audio). At that point, participants can click a button and advance to the next trial before even hearing the audio — which is not the desired behavior. So, by setting delay:2 for the choice responses (to match the onset of the audio), the issue seems resolved.

My question is: will the choice response still capture reaction times accurately — specifically, from the moment the buttons appear to when the participant makes their selection? Additionally, how is the trial's offset triggered after the choice response is made?

Thanks again for your help!

— sten

Messages In This Thread
RE: Letting audio play through after choice response - by sten_knutsen - 2 hours ago