Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centering crosshair when played multiple times
Hi, I've been working on designing a study where a sound is played, a crosshair flashes, a sound is played, a crosshair flashes, a third sound is played, and a final crosshair flashes on the screen. The participant should press F if the third sound is the same as the first one, and they should press J if the third sound is the same as the second one. 
The issue that I'm having is that I want the crosshair to appear in the center of the screen each time, but instead it has been appearing from left to right even after the crosshair disappears. 

This is an example of my current setup:
Trial template: 
"MainTrialStimuliA":{
  "type": "AFC",
  "auto_advance": true,
  "delay": 0.1,
    "stimuli":  [["audioStim1", "crosshair", "audioStim2", "crosshair", "audioStim1", "crosshair2"]],
  "responses": [["ResponseF"]]
},

audioStmi1 (audioStim2 has the same setup):
{
  "type": "audio",
  "content": "dent retr 1 vcls vcng 0 aCa.mp3",
  "visible": false,
  "delay": 1
}

crosshair:
{
  "type": "text",
  "content": "+",
  "alignment": "center",
  "duration": 1,
  "size": "24px",
}

crosshair2:
{
  "type": "text",
  "content": "x",
  "alignment": "center",
  "duration": 1,
  "size": "24px",
}
Hello! When you have multiple stimuli in the same trial, FindingFive will automatically position them as to not overlap. You must specify the location using the custom option of specifying stimuli in your trial template: https://help.findingfive.com/api/trial-t...tom-option

Set the location to 5 for all stimuli and this should take care of your problem!
Thank you for the response. I'm getting closer, but now when I run the study the crosshairs are still in a slightly different position each time, the first one being a little higher than the next one, and moving downwards vertically from there. Would changing the timing of the stimuli fix this issue? 

Current setup for the trial template:
"MainTrialStimuliA":{
  "type": "AFC",
  "auto_advance": true,
  "delay": 0.1,
    "stimuli":  [{"which": ["audioStim1", "crosshair", "audioStim2", "crosshair", "audioStim1", "crosshair2"], "location": [5,5,5,5,5,5]}],
  "responses": [["ResponseF"]]
},
The reason why it "moved" is that you are putting all crosses on the same trial, so they must occupy their own space. A much better way to achieve what you need is to use our "yoked trials" feature, so that you can split each pair of "audio stimulus" and "crosshair" up and put them on their own trials (which are generated from the same trial template).

We have a detailed tutorial here: https://news.findingfive.com/2019/07/17/...ed-trials/ That particular tutorial also features randomization between pairs of trials. If you don't need randomization, you can use the "alternate" pattern instead of "alternate_random".
Okay, thank you!
I'll look at that tutorial and try implementing that.