Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAQ #2 - Multiple Stimuli on Same Trial
How do I get two or more stimuli to appear on the same trial?
In a trial template, stimuli can take a nested list. In the example "stimuli": ["s1", ["s2", "s3"], ... , "sn"], s2 and s3 will appear on the same trial. These stimuli will default to sensible locations if they are visible. To have two or more stimuli appear on the same trial in specific locations, use the custom option: use a list of dictionaries to specify stimuli and their locations. For example, "stimuli": [{"which": ["s1", "s2"], "location": [1, 9]}] specifies that s1 and s2 will appear on the same trial, with s1 in the top left corner and s2 in the bottom right. See our documentation for more. 
Photo 
(10-23-2020, 04:09 PM)Lucy - FF Researcher Support Wrote: In a trial template, stimuli can take a nested list. In the example "stimuli": ["s1", ["s2", "s3"], ... , "sn"], s2 and s3 will appear on the same trial. These stimuli will default to sensible locations if they are visible. To have two or more stimuli appear on the same trial in specific locations, use the custom option: use a list of dictionaries to specify stimuli and their locations. For example, "stimuli": [{"which": ["s1", "s2"], "location": [1, 9]}] specifies that s1 and s2 will appear on the same trial, with s1 in the top left corner and s2 in the bottom right. See our documentation for more. 

Hi Lucy, 

Regarding using the 'which' syntax, I have a question!Smile

I'd like to present my stimuli, the 'key_press' in the upper center, and the 'p1_probe' to appear in the center of the screen, and so I did something like this:
"stimuli": [ { "which": [ "key_press", "p1_audio", "p1_probe" ], "location": [2, 1, 5] } ]

But it turned out that both the key_press and the  p1_probe appear on the upper left. Do you have any idea how to solve this? Thanks!
-Yuting
Hi Yuting,

This is because the audio doesn't really take up any space. You can use a blank image instead to occupy the 1 spot instead. Multiple stimuli can be put into the same spot.

Lucy has left FindingFive. Smile
(10-25-2022, 09:05 PM)Ting Wrote: Hi Yuting,

This is because the audio doesn't really take up any space. You can use a blank image instead to occupy the 1 spot instead. Multiple stimuli can be put into the same spot.

Lucy has left FindingFive. Smile
Hi Ting,

Thanks for your response! But how exactly should I insert a blank image here? Could you give me an example for the code? Thanks again!
Hi Yuting,

You can use Windows Paint or whatever easy photo editing software to create a blank/white image. You can then create an image stimulus on FindingFive that corresponds to this image. You can play with the grids a bit to see where it works the best to have this "filler" image inserted to achieve the layout you need. You may need to be creative and try different locations (and perhaps having multiple blank fillers on the same trial).

The general rule is that the 9-grid system is *relative* - let's say you have content in the first column (grids 1, 4, and 7), items in the center column (2,5,8), although technically "centered" in the grid, will be pushed to the right only to the extent as needed by the width the content in the first column. The use of filler images is thus to push things around to achieve a customized layout.

Hope this helps.
(10-26-2022, 04:09 PM)Ting Wrote: Hi Yuting,

You can use Windows Paint or whatever easy photo editing software to create a blank/white image. You can then create an image stimulus on FindingFive that corresponds to this image. You can play with the grids a bit to see where it works the best to have this "filler" image inserted to achieve the layout you need. You may need to be creative and try different locations (and perhaps having multiple blank fillers on the same trial).

The general rule is that the 9-grid system is *relative* - let's say you have content in the first column (grids 1, 4, and 7), items in the center column (2,5,8), although technically "centered" in the grid, will be pushed to the right only to the extent as needed by the width the content in the first column. The use of filler images is thus to push things around to achieve a customized layout.

Hope this helps.
Hi Ting,

Thanks a lot!  Smile