Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
image in portrait orientation
Hi FF team,

I have many many images as stimuli, some of which are in landscape, others in portrait orientation. Those in landscape present ok, but those in portrait are halfway cutoff. When i try to have image "width": "50%" that makes lanscape images fill half the screen ok, but portrait images now stretch from the top to the bottom of the screen. In effect this means all my lanscape images are kind of small and all the portrait ones are what would be perceived as "full size" even though they are technically 50% smaller than without the width specification. Is there any way i can address this without having to manually go through all my images and find which ones are portrait and which landscape?

Many thanks,
bissera
Hi bissera,

Unfortunately, there is no automatic way to adjust these images on FindingFive, but there are probably online tools that would allow you to upload the source images and adjust their sizes all at once, which may be the easiest way to go about this. I should also point out that things that look cutoff on your computer may not necessarily look the same on others' computers, since screen sizes vary between participants. 

Hope that helps,
Rachel
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for your response! The thing is all my images have the same height - 1800px, regardless of whether they are in portrait or landscape orientation. So i've kind of already done this batch resizing thing. The issue is that for some reason FF displays only the top half of the portrait images and i don't understand why. I've checked on different browsers and it's still the same. Screenshot attached of FF showing a portrat photo (cut off), a landscape photo (ok), and the way the portrait should display.

Best,
bissera

Hi bissera,

What may have happened is that FF shrunk the width of the landscape image to fit the screen (and also shrunk the height, in proportion), whereas it did not rescale the portrait images (because they were not too wide) but cropped off the bottom to fit. If so, this means that the images are too large and should be resized to be smaller. For maximum compatibility across screens, you might shoot for images that are no wider than 1000px. Please let us know if the cropping issues continue to occur even with the smaller images. 

Best,
Rachel