Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
coding errors that cannot be automatically detected
Hi,

I am modifying my experiment code but cannot get it run. There is a message saying "coding errors that cannot be automatically detected" when I clicked the preview button. Can you give me some suggestions about how to debug? Thank you. 

Best,
Zoe
Hi Zoe,

I'll ask our volunteer Morgane to get back to you on this. In the meantime, can you give us a bit more details? What experimental design are you trying to implement? Any guess on which part of the code triggers this cryptic error message? Anything that might shed some light on this would help. Thanks!
Hi Ting,

I went through my code line by line and found that there is a letter capital in the trial template that is not matching the one in procedure block sequence. I posted the question because I was wondering if there is a more efficient way to deal with this kind of coding errors on FF platform. Thanks!

Best,
Zoe
Hi Zoe,

For this particular error, we'll actually apply a "fix" soon so that we can specifically tell researchers what's wrong. In general, much of the work does fall upon us - we do continuously optimize our grammar system so that it recognizes more and more coding errors, but as you can imagine, it's a long battle. Smile

If you do encounter such a generic error message again in the future, what I would do is to comment out sections of the code and see if the error goes away. Then gradually uncomment bits of code to see which part is the culprit. It might also be a good idea to preview incrementally, so that it's easier to notice *when* a bug is introduced.

Hope this helps!