Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Response feedback + demographic responses
Hi Ting, 

I hope you're well! 

I have a question about providing participants with feedback on their responses, as well as with some demographic questions. 
I am using keypresses for responses to my stimuli, so participants will see the stimuli and have to press either the 'F' or 'J' keys. However, I'd like to add in feedback, so if they press the 'F' key when they should have pressed the 'J' key they will get feedback (maybe something like 'error' and a reminder of S-R keypress mappings). With choice responses, participants can get said response feedback, but the two keypress choices are displayed at the bottom of the screen. I'd like to avoid this if possible. Do you have any advice on how to give response feedback while still using keypress responses? 

I've also been working on adding in my demographic questions, but I've hit a bit of a roadblock. I've defined my stimuli and the associated responses, built the trials in "Trial Templates", and built the demographic trials into "Procedure", including the trial sequence. However, no matter the type of response defined, the "continue" button shows up. For example, I have a question asking about gender identity, and the response is a choice response as follows: 
{
  "type": "choice",
  "choices": [
    "female",
    "male",
    "non-binary",
    "prefer not to answer"
  ],
  "key_mapping": [
    "F",
    "J"
  ],
  "target": "YES"
}

The whole code is: 
"DemographicGender": {
  "type": "basic",
  "stimuli": ["DemographicGender"],
  "response": ["DemographicGenderResponse"]

When I run the study, instead of any of the available choices popping up, only the "continue" button is displayed. So, the question will ask "what is your gender identity" and instead of the choice responses, only "continue" will display. This is the same for text box responses. (And actually right now the choices that should be displayed in the example above are "YES", "NO" because I was testing this out with previous response code that has run fine in previous studies). 

Thank you so much! 

Grace
Hi Grace,

For your second question, I think it's just attributed to a typo: in the trial template, it should be "responses" (plural, since there could be more than one response on a trial) instead of "response". That is:

Code:
"responses": ["DemographicGenderResponse"]

You may also need to remove the key mapping in the choice response - you have 4 options but only 2 mapped keys. It wouldn't work.

For your first question, are you imagining a choice response that accepts participant input via keyboard but doesn't show the hints for which keys to press? Is the purpose of your task to train participants to learn which keys to press?
(08-24-2021, 11:33 AM)Ting Wrote: Hi Grace,

For your second question, I think it's just attributed to a typo: in the trial template, it should be "responses" (plural, since there could be more than one response on a trial) instead of "response". That is:

Code:
"responses": ["DemographicGenderResponse"]

You may also need to remove the key mapping in the choice response - you have 4 options but only 2 mapped keys. It wouldn't work.

For your first question, are you imagining a choice response that accepts participant input via keyboard but doesn't show the hints for which keys to press? Is the purpose of your task to train participants to learn which keys to press?

Hi Ting, 

Thank you! Yep... it was just a typo. Whoops. 

In my experiment, participants will be instructed to press 'F' if a particular stimulus is presented, and 'J' if another particular stimulus is presented. The response-type is a "keypress" response. However, I don't want hints for which key to press before they respond. I want participants to rely on memory for which keypress corresponds to which stimulus. After participants respond, if participants press the 'F' key on a stimulus to which they should have pressed the 'J'  key for example, I'd like error feedback following their incorrect response to tell them their response was wrong and to remind them of the S-R key mappings. 

For example, participants might see a green square and be instructed to press 'F' for every green square that appears, or they might see a blue square and be instructed to press 'J' for every blue square that appears. If the response defined were a "choice" type response with key mapping 'F'/'J' and a target keypress defined, they'd have the choices 'F'/'J' presented on the screen below the stimuli. If they pressed the wrong choice, they'd get the error feedback. But if the response-type defined is a "keypress" response, there are no choices below the stimuli. But that's where it appears that there is also no way to give the error feedback similar to what's given in a choice-type response. 

In many words, the purpose would be to both train and remind participants of the keys to press in response to stimuli in both training and critical trials. 

Thank you! 

Grace
Gotcha.

So the "before" part is already possible, right? You can use the keypress response and set multiple to false, so that it only accepts a single key press (a whitelist will be helpful to only allow F and J, for example). Keypress responses don't have hints anyway, so that isn't an issue. The "after" part is the hard part - keypress responses are invisible, and won't give you feedback.

The first thought off the top of my head is perhaps the "follow-up response" feature: https://discuss.findingfive.com/showthread.php?tid=91. The idea is that when participants press F or J, you follow it up with a corresponding "response" (it has to be a response structurally) that really serves the purpose of showing a feedback. For example, you can set up a choice response with a single choice (call it "ok, got it"), whose instruction is "yes that's correct!", and another one that says "no, that's incorrect".

What do you think? A bit hack-ish but I think it might be doable?
(08-25-2021, 10:19 AM)Ting Wrote: Gotcha.

So the "before" part is already possible, right? You can use the keypress response and set multiple to false, so that it only accepts a single key press (a whitelist will be helpful to only allow F and J, for example). Keypress responses don't have hints anyway, so that isn't an issue. The "after" part is the hard part - keypress responses are invisible, and won't give you feedback.

The first thought off the top  of my head is perhaps the "follow-up response" feature: https://discuss.findingfive.com/showthread.php?tid=91. The idea is that when participants press F or J, you follow it up with a corresponding "response" (it has to be a response structurally) that really serves the purpose of showing a feedback. For example, you can set up a choice response with a single choice (call it "ok, got it"), whose instruction is "yes that's correct!", and another one that says "no, that's incorrect".

What do you think? A bit hack-ish but I think it might be doable?

Hi Ting, 

I'm a little bit confused about the follow-up response after looking at the grammar reference. Instead of specifying 

{"previous_choice_response": [.... 

would I need to do "{previous_keypress_response": [.... (?) 

I'm also confused about how, if after the keypress response I give participants a choice response where they press "ok, got it", would the subsequent feedback know if their 'F' or 'J' keypress response was (in)correct? Would the "yes that's correct!" or "no that's incorrect!" be in response to the initial keypress response or in response to the choice "ok, got it" response? 

Thank you! 

Grace
Hi Grace,

The idea is to (mis)use the follow up response as a way to display feedback. We pick the choice response as the follow up response because it can be disguised most easily - the "instruction" of that response can be used to display the actual feedback, and because it is possible to have a single-option choice response, that single option can be disguised as a "continue" button.

You would want to use the follow up response's conditional feature to display two different choice response (again, disguised as feedback). One for when the participants answered correctly, and the other incorrectly.