Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about tokenized_text
Hello!
I have a question about tokenized_text (self-paced reading).
Is there a way to divide the text, for example, the first two sentences will appear as fixed forms while the other half will appear as tokens?
For instance, if I want to use the following sentence using self-paced reading, "The Bûche de Noël cake - is French Christmas tradition",
I want to make the first two words appear on the screen (in a fixed form) and then each token will appear one by one.
Would this be possible?
Thanks!!
Hi there!

Using the "delimiter" parameter should serve this purpose! https://help.findingfive.com/api/stimuli...=delimiter

The code could look something like this:

Code:
{
  "type": "tokenized_text",
  "content": "The Bûche de Noël cake, is, a, French, Christmas tradition",
  "delimiter": ",",
  "keep_last": true,
  "mode": "plain"
}

Importantly, the delimiter (i.e., the comma) could be set to whatever you wanted it to be. For instance, you could use the / instead. You can also set the duration for whatever duration you'd like. 

The "keep_last" property will allow you to keep the last token on display after the stimulus completes. The default is false, so you would need to include this if you would like the text to be fixed.
Hi Grace,
Thanks for your reply!
I used the codes you posted, the first token "The Bûche de Noël cake" appears for 1 second, and then move on to the next tokens.
But what I want is to fix the first token (without time duration) so that the participants can see it right after they move on to this screen.
Then the participants can press the space bar to see the other tokens.
I removed the time duration and only included 
but this way, the first token, "The Bûche de Noël cake," appears only after I press the space bar, which is not what I want.
Could you let me know whether there is a way to fix the first token and then move on to the next tokens after the participants press the space bar? Thank you so much for your help!
Glad we're on the right track. Smile

You'll want to use the "self_paced" property. If you set this property as true, the display of tokens will be triggered by the user.

If you set the "mode" property as "plain" it will display the tokens in sequence. This way, the first token will be fixed and each subsequent token will be revealed when the participants progress via the spacebar. (See here: https://help.findingfive.com/api/stimuli...ight=plain)
Hi Grace,
I'm sorry that I kept asking questions but I don't think the first token can be fixed with my codes.
{
"type": "tokenized_text",
"self_paced": true,
"delimiter": ",",
"key_advance_instruction": false,
"mode": "plain"
}
These are the codes that I wrote, but the first token "The Bûche de Noël cake" only appears after I press the space bar.
Could you let me know how to fix the code? Thank you!!
Hi Hyeonah,

There's a possibility that we are not understanding what you mean by "fixed". Can you elaborate on that?

Ting
Sure! I was asking whether it is possible to make the "The Bûche de Noël cake" as the text, and the rest of the sentences can appear as tokens only after the participants press the space bar.
However based on the codes above, "The Bûche de Noël cake" also appears as a token which I have to press the space bar to make this part appear on the screen.
I attached an image file that shows the very first screen that the participants can look at.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

aha, gotcha!

At the current moment, this is not supported on FindingFive. Perhaps maybe we could consider using a text stimulus for the first "chunk" of the sentence, and then pair it together with the self-paced reading part? By using a customized location setup such as [4,6], it won't look completely natural, but it might work.

Alternatively, may I ask if presenting the first "chunk" as a token completely screws up your design, from a theoretical perspective? Because if it's mostly a presentation issue, you could just discard the reading time measured on the first chunk.

We will think about if we can do something on our end to better support your design. However, your design is quite specific, and we may not be able to implement this exact functionality that achieves exactly what you are after. My apologies in advance.
Hi Ting,
I decided to keep the entire text as self-paced reading, instead of pairing a text with the self-paced reading part.
Thanks for your suggestions!!
You are most welcome! Thanks for raising this request. I think there's some need for this functionality - perhaps not just the first token, but any arbitrary token in a sentence can be made fixed. We'll work on this a bit later.